China Chemical Leak in Shanghai Kills 15
- August, 31, 2013 - 13:31
- Other Media news
TEHRAN (Tasnim) - A chemical leak of liquid ammonia from a cold storage unit in Shanghai has killed 15 people on Saturday, according to China's official news agency.
There were also 26 people injured in the leak at around 11:00 local time (03:00 GMT), Xinhua reports.
Local media published pictures of firefighters at the scene.
China's industrial safety regulations are sometimes ignored by local authorities focused on boosting economic development, observers say.
Local media say that the incident occurred in the city's northern district of Baoshan at a refrigeration unit owned by a seafood company.