Bus Bombing Kills 22 Pilgrims in Southwest Pakistan
TEHRAN (Tasnim) - At least 22 Shiite pilgrims returning from Iran were killed and 20 others wounded when a bomb hit a bus in the southwest Pakistan province of Baluchistan on Tuesday, officials said.
The attack took place at Dringhar village on the Pakistan-Iran highway some 60 kilometres west of Quetta, Baluchistan's capital.
"At least 22 people were killed and 20 others were wounded," local government official Shafqat Shahwani said.
He said 51 passengers had been on board at the time of the blast and that nine passengers were still unaccounted for.
Provincial home secretary Asad Gilani said it was not immediately clear what type of bomb was used or whether it was a suicide attack, AFP reported.
He said that two buses had been travelling together with security vehicles provided by the government and that the bomb struck one of the buses.
Shahwani said that bomb disposal officials suspect the bomb was planted on the roadside and detonated remotely, but he did not rule out the possibility of a suicide attack.
He added that the driver of the bus told authorities that he did not see any car hitting his vehicle, but felt a sudden blast followed by the cries of women and children amid the destruction.
"We have declared an emergency at hospital and doctors and paramedics are trying to save the wounded," Shahwani said.
Pakistani President Mamnoon Hussain and Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif strongly condemned the bombing in separate messages.
Two people were killed in a similar attack on January 1 when a bomb targeted a bus carrying Shiite pilgrims near Quetta.
Nobody claimed responsibility for the attack.