Official Denies Rumors about Hezbollah's High Casualties in Syria
TEHRAN (Tasnim) - The Lebanese Hezbollah Resistance Movement’s second-in-command, Sheikh Naim Qassem, quashed rumors about the number of Hezbollah forces that have lost their lives in the crisis-torn Syria.
“Despite the existing rumors about an increase in the number of the Hezbollah martyrs in Syria, it should be announced that the number is limited,” the Lebanese official told the Tasnim News Agency on Sunday.
A number of Israeli media outlets have been spreading rumors recently about a surge in the number of Hezbollah casualties in Syria.
“The exact number of Hezbollah casualties is unclear, but it continues to rise, and estimates put the figures at between 300 and 500 deaths,” the Times of Israel reported on Friday.
The Lebanese Hezbollah resistance movement is one of the main allies of Syria’s legitimate government which has made valuable contributions to the war against foreign-backed terrorist groups in Syria.
Earlier on February 9, Sheikh Qassem had made it clear that the presence of the resistance movement in Syria is aimed at stopping the spillover of violence into neighboring Lebanon.
He said Israel is supporting the foreign-backed militants.
“We will continue our work and remain in the field committed to our political stances. We will remain fighting where we are fighting. We are a resistance wherever we are: a resistance against Israel and its agents and a resistance fighting in Syria in defense of the resistance,” he said at the time.