Iran DM Warns of Inaction on Israeli Crimes
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Iran’s defense minister on Tuesday cautioned the Islamic and Arab world against the dire consequences of silence on Israel’s atrocities against people of Gaza.
“The Islamic world and the Arab world are faced with a strategic choice today, and their indifference to and silence on the Zionist regime’s anti-human crimes are kind of concession (to Israel) and acceptance of the historical, adverse, unacceptable and irreparable consequences of such muted response,” Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan said on Tuesday.
His comments came amid Israel’s large-scale military operation in the Gaza Strip which has killed hundreds of Palestinians so far.
The minster also lashed out at the self-proclaimed advocates of human rights for their “dead silence” on Israel’s ongoing atrocities in Palestine.
On July 8, Israel launched air strikes on the Gaza Strip. After 10 days of bombardment of the enclave from the air and sea, the Israeli forces started a ground operation in the Gaza Strip.
The latest figures show 586 Palestinians have been killed and around 3,600 others have been wounded in the 15-day Israeli onslaught.
About 70 percent of the deaths in Gaza have been civilians, according to UN estimates.
In the meantime, US officials have been supporting the Israeli offensive on the people of Gaza from the very beginning.
US President Barack Obama on Friday said he spoke to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu about the situation in Gaza, underscoring Washington’s support for Israel to defend itself.
Obama said he reaffirmed the US’s strong support for its ally, Israel.
Moreover, US Secretary of State John Kerry has also made it clear that his country supports “Israel's appropriate and legitimate effort to defend itself."