Syria Condemns Terrorist Attack on French Magazine
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Syria strongly condemned the Wednesday deadly terrorist attack in the French capital, Paris, in which 12 people were killed.
Syria strongly condemned the terrorist attack on Charlie Hebdo magazine in Paris and extended condolences to the families of the victims and their colleagues, SANA reported on Thursday.
Meantime, a stunned and outraged France was in mourning Thursday, as security forces desperately hunted two brothers suspected of gunning down 12 people in a terrorist attack on the satirical weekly.
Shocked people from Moscow to Washington rallied in their tens of thousands under the banner "I am Charlie", in support of press freedom and the controversial Charlie Hebdo magazine, AFP reported.
Declaring Thursday a national day of mourning -- only the fifth in the last 50 years -- President Francois Hollande called the bloodbath "an act of exceptional barbarity" and "undoubtedly a terrorist attack".
Police issued arrest warrants for Cherif Kouachi, 32, a known jihadist convicted in 2008 for involvement in a network sending fighters to Iraq, and his 34-year-old brother Said. Both were born in Paris.
The two men were likely to be "armed and dangerous," authorities warned.
Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said seven people had been detained in the hunt for the brothers, and a judicial source who refused to be named added these were men and women close to the suspects.
Hamyd Mourad, an 18-year-old suspected of being an accomplice in the attack, handed himself in, with police sources saying he had seen his name "circulating on social media".