Bahraini Groups Slam Saudi Invasion of Yemen
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Bahrain's opposition groups denounced the aggression launched against Yemen by Saudi Arabia and its regional allies.
The "Friends of February 14 Revolution" movement in a statement condemned the Saudi invasion of Yemen with the backing of certain Arab countries, calling for an immediate end to the aggression.
The statement said those involved in the aggression have targeted the Yemeni nation, the country's revolutionary forces, the Houthi Ansarullah movement and the Yemeni army that sought to eradicate al-Qaeda militants.
It said that in order to protect al-Qaeda, the world arrogance, especially the US, as well as Saudi Arabia and certain Arab countries have decided to turn Yemen into a battlefield like Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and Libya.
It further called on Arab and Islamic nations and the Axis of Resistance to take stances against the brutal aggression.
Saudi Arabia announced in the early hours of Thursday that it had begun launching airstrikes in Yemen where the Houthi Ansarullah fighters have been making advances.
"The operation is to defend the legitimate government," Adel al-Jubeir, the Saudi envoy to the US, told reporters in a rare news conference at the Saudi embassy in Washington on Wednesday, referring to the administration of fugitive President Hadi, whose whereabouts are unknown after reportedly fleeing the country earlier in the day.
“We consulted very closely with many of our allies and in particular with the United States. We are very pleased with the outcome of those discussions,” he said. “We have a situation where you have a militia group that is now in control or can be in control of ballistic missiles, heavy weapons and an air force.”
Meanwhile, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, the UAE along with Saudi Arabia released a joint statement that they "have decided to answer the call of President Hadi” against the movement’s ”aggression”.
The statement, published by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA), included all member states of the [Persian] Gulf Cooperation Council ([P]GCC) except Oman.
"We have air assets from a number of countries in the (Saudi) kingdom and we have military assets that are on their way to the kingdom to participate in these operations," the Saudi envoy said.
Saudi Arabia said Thursday that five more countries want to join the [P]GCC coalition launching attacks in Yemen.
According to Saudi SPA state news agency, Egypt, Pakistan, Jordan, Morocco and Sudan have "expressed desire to participate in the operation" against the Houthis, which the kingdom has dubbed "Firmness Storm."