Taliban Claims Recapture of Large Parts of Kunduz City
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – The Taliban has reportedly regained control of large parts of the northern city of Kunduz, after days of intense fighting against Afghan troops backed by US air strikes, media reports said.
Earlier on Sunday, government forces, which have been trying to take control of the city, said they had made gains, but those appear to have been shortlived.
Al Jazeera's Qais Azimy, reporting from Puli Khumri just south of Kunduz, said that at around 12:00 GMT, Taliban fighters launched counter-attacks, driving back government forces from the areas, where they had earlier made gains.
Residents in Kunduz have told Al Jazeera that more than 100 people have died, but exact figures are hard to arrive as those dead and injured are stuck in their homes due to the fighting.
Images also showed streets of the city strewn with dead bodies.
"It is a very fragile situation. Afghan security officials are telling us that they are suffering from lack of leadership and coordination," he said.
Even with the deployment of 7,000 troops, the correspondent said, the government is still unable to retake the strategic city.
In a big jolt to the government of President Ashraf Ghani, the Taliban launched an attack and captured the northern strategic city on Monday.
"They are also telling us, that they are moving slowly, because they claim the Taliban fighters are hiding in residential areas. They said, they want to avoid civilian casualties, so they have to do door-to-door search."
A Kunduz residents, who just escaped the city to Puli Khumri, also confirmed to Al Jazeera that Taliban militants have taken over civilians homes, and have refused to let residents leave.