President Rouhani Cancels Visit to Italy, France after Terrorist Attacks in Paris
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Iranian President Hassan Rouhani called off his planned official visits to France and Italy, Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif announced on Saturday.
After coordination with the European sides, it was agreed that the Iranian president’s trip to the European countries be postponed to “a more appropriate time” in the future, Zarif said.
The decision came after a string of terrorist attacks in Paris on Friday evening.
Late on Friday, a string of coordinated attacks in and around the French capital left at least 153 people dead and some 200 others injured, as a state of emergency is declared in the European country shaken by the horrific attacks.
At the invitation of French President Francois Hollande, Rouhani had planned to pay a state visit to the French capital on November 17.
In a statement, Hollande's office had earlier said "several accords will be signed by French and Iranian ministers covering a variety of sectors, in particular political dialogue, economic cooperation, air transport, health and agriculture".