Israel Razes Homes of Four Palestinians
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Israel razed the homes in the occupied West Bank of four Palestinians accused of allegedly attacking Israelis, the army said Saturday, its latest punitive demolitions after weeks of deadly unrest.
In Nablus in the northern West Bank, troops destroyed the homes of three Palestinians accused of allegedly killing an Israeli settler couple on Oct. 1 at the start of the latest flare-up of violence, the army said.
In Silwad, northeast of Ramallah, they razed the home of a Palestinian accused of killing an Israeli on a West Bank road in June, it added, AFP reported.
The demolitions prompted clashes between Palestinian protesters and the Israeli army in which nine suffered minor injuries, Palestinian medical sources said.
Last month, the Israeli cabinet ordered an intensification of punitive home demolitions against Palestinians who purportedly attack Israelis.
It says the controversial policy acts as a deterrent but critics say the main victims of such demolitions are relatives forced to pay for another person's actions.
The wave of violence that erupted on Oct.1 has shown no letup. Friday also saw three Palestinians die after being shot by Israeli soldiers.
Since the start of last month, the violence has killed 81 people on the Palestinian side.