Iranian President’s European Tour Postponed, Not Cancelled: Source
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – An informed source at Iran’s Foreign Ministry said Iranian President Hassan Rouhani’s planned visits to France and Italy have not been called off, but rather postponed.
The Iranian source on Saturday said President Rouhani’s trip to the European countries have been "postponed to a more appropriate time” in the future following the Friday terrorist attacks in Paris.
The source added that the trip will take place shortly after calm returns to France.
Earlier today, Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif also said that, after coordination with the European sides, it was agreed that the Iranian president’s trip to the two countries be postponed to some other time.
Late on Friday, a string of coordinated attacks in and around the French capital left at least 127 people dead and some 200 others injured.
A state of emergency has been declared in the European country shaken by the horrific attacks.
At the invitation of French President Francois Hollande, Rouhani had been scheduled to pay a state visit to the French capital on November 17.
In a statement, Hollande's office had earlier said "several accords will be signed by French and Iranian ministers covering a variety of sectors, in particular political dialogue, economic cooperation, air transport, health and agriculture".