Deadly Attacks on Shiites in Nigeria Discussed by Iranian, Nigerian Presidents
- December, 16, 2015 - 00:15
- Politics news
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Iranian President Hassan Rouhani in a phone conversation with his Nigerian counterpart raised the issue of army attack against Nigerian Shiite community, and urged probe into the deadly incident.
“Under the present circumstances, we expect the Nigerian government to sympathize with all victims and issue firm orders in a bid to prevent the persistence of any kind of unrest,” Rouhani said in a telephone conversation with Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday.
Rouhani then warned about enemy plots to create rift among Muslim countries, and said, “We should not let minor differences grow into deep-seated conflicts and differences."
He also urged Muslim nations to remain united and vigilant against divisive plots, and underlined that the Muslim world currently needs to settle issues peacefully.
President Rouhani also voiced Tehran’s preparedness to send medical teams to treat injured people.
Buhari, for his part, said he would fulfill his responsibility to ensure safety of the Nigerian Muslims in the African country.
He said Nigerian government is resolved to pursue the case, and vowed to punish those who failed to do their responsibilities.
According to reports, at least 60 people were killed this past weekend when the Nigerian army raided the Islamic Movement headquarters and arrested its leader, Ibrahim Zakzaky, in the northern city of Zaria.
On Sunday, the army raided several buildings connected to the Islamic Movement and the home of Zakzaky. They arrested him and killed key members of the group, including Zakzaky's second-in-command and spokesman.
Aliy, Zakzaky’s son, was among dozens killed during the raid.
Three of Mr. Zakzaky’s sons had been killed in a similar attack by the Nigerian Army in July 2014.
The Islamic Movement insists its members did not attack the convoy of the Chief of Army staff, Tukur Buratai, as alleged by the Nigerian Army.