Armenian Defense Ministry Doubts Azerbaijan's Claims on Truce in Karabakh
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Azerbaijan's statement regarding the unilateral ceasefire in the Nagorno-Karabakh region is not consistent with reality, Armenian Defense Ministry spokesman Artsrun Hovhannisyan said Sunday.
Earlier in the day, Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry press service said that Baku has made a unilateral decision to halt all military operations in the Nagorno-Karabakh region.
"Azerbaijan's statement is an information trap which does not mean unilateral ceasefire," Hovhannisyan posted on his Facebook page, Sputnik News reported.
On Saturday, Armenia and Azerbaijan noted a sharp escalation of the situation in the mountainous Nagorno-Karabakh area, with both sides accusing each other of violating the ceasefire that has been in place since 1994.
Earlier on Sunday, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry announced the shelling from the Armenian side across the line of contact during the night.
Meanwhile, the Defense Ministry of the unrecognized Nagorno-Karabakh Republic claimed on Sunday morning that the shelling from the Azerbaijani side has resumed.
The conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh began in 1988, when the Armenian-dominated autonomous region sought to secede from the Azerbaijan Soviet Socialist Republic, before proclaiming independence after the Soviet Union's collapse in 1991. In September 2015, the conflict escalated, with the sides blaming each other for violating the truce.