Iranians’ Hajj Pilgrimage Unlikely This Year: Official

News ID: 1073477 Service: Society/Culture
سعید اوحدی رئیس سازمان حج و زیارت

TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Head of Iran’s Hajj and Pilgrimage Organization Saeed Ohadi criticized Saudi authorities for their reluctance to facilitate the travel of Iranian pilgrims to the Arab country for the upcoming Hajj.

Speaking in the central city of Qom on Thursday, Ohadi pointed to a deadly crush in Saudi Arabia during last year’s Hajj season, which killed thousands of people including hundreds of Iranians, and said in his talks with Saudi Hajj officials, he has warned them that Iran will not dispatch pilgrims if Saudi Arabia continues its approach to pilgrims’ security.

“The Hajj and Pilgrimage Organization offered them (Saudis) 20 practical solutions to ensure the security (of pilgrims),” he said, adding that the Saudi side has not accepted the proposals.

They even have announced that no Iranian airplane is permitted to fly to Saudi Arabia, he stated.

The official went on to say that given the Saudis’ unwillingness for Iranians’ presence in this year’s Hajj, Iran cannot dispatch pilgrims to the annual religious event.

Ohadi and a number of other officials have in recent weeks held several rounds of talks with the Saudi side on sending Iranian pilgrims to this year’s Hajj.

    All Stories