Spokesman Rejects Saudi FM’s Anti-Iran Allegations as "Bogus"
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi dismissed as “repetitive and bogus” recent anti-Tehran remarks made by Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir, saying he is trying to divert public attention from the kingdom’s war crimes in Yemen.
In a statement late on Friday, Qassemi pointed to the recent “repetitive and bogus allegations” about Iran’s military aid to Yemenis, and said that the claims by the Saudi diplomat have their roots in the Saudi-led coalition's failures in the battle against the defenseless people of Yemen.
“Saudi Arabia’s attempts to divert attention and run forward will not change the realities on the ground,” the spokesman said, adding that the Yemeni army and popular committees have never and will never need foreign military assistance.
He went on to say that sooner or later the Saudi rulers should respond the international community for crimes they have committed against humanity in Yemen over the past two years.
According to media reports, Jubeir in a Thursday meeting in New York with António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations, called on the international community to address what he called “Iran’s interference” in the affairs of regional countries, especially Yemen.
The developments came as Yemen’s defenseless people have been under massive attacks by the coalition led by the Saudi regime for nearly two years but Riyadh has reached none of its objectives in Yemen so far.
Since March 2015, Saudi Arabia and some of its Arab allies have been launching deadly airstrikes against the Houthi Ansarullah movement in an attempt to restore power to the fugitive former President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, a close ally of Riyadh.
Nearly 11,000 Yemenis, mostly civilians, have lost their lives in the deadly military campaign.