US to Honor Iran Nuclear Deal: Trump’s Adviser
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – A senior adviser to US President Donald Trump on nuclear matters said Washington will honor the 2015 nuclear deal between Tehran and world powers.
- March, 22, 2017 - 10:51
Christopher Ford, the White House National Security Council's senior director for weapons of mass destruction and counter-proliferation, told a conference in Washington on Tuesday that the Trump administration accepts the deal despite repeated criticisms by Trump.
"Until otherwise decided, the United States will adhere to the Iran nuclear deal and ensure that Iran also does," he told the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, Reuters reported.
Ford, however, said the White House is reviewing the deal along with all the other nuclear arms pacts that the United States has negotiated under previous administrations.
In February, the Trump administration implemented a new round of sanctions against Iran following the country’s successful test-launch of a ballistic missile, which Washington said was a breach of the JCPOA. Iran rejected the US claim, reiterating the right to develop its defense capabilities.
Trump has been a staunch opponent of the international agreement negotiated by the US under President Barack Obama.
During his presidential campaign, Trump had promised to repeal the nuclear accord which he referred to as a "disaster" and "the worst deal ever negotiated."
Iran and the Group 5+1 (Russia, China, the US, Britain, France and Germany) reached the nuclear deal, also known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), in July 2015 and implemented it in January last year.
Since the historic nuclear agreement was signed in Vienna, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has repeatedly confirmed the Islamic Republic’s compliance with its commitments under the JCPOA.