Attack on Yemeni Port Would Displace at Least 400,000: UN

News ID: 1405065 Service: World
یمن

TEHRAN (Tasnim) - An attack on Yemen's Hodeidah port would displace more than 400,000 people, the UN International Organization for Migration said on Friday, doubling its previous minimum estimate.

"A minimum of 400,000 people will flee the city eastwards, once Al Hudaydah is under attack," IOM's Director of Operations and Emergencies Mohammed Abdiker said in a statement, using a different English spelling for the port's name, Reuters reported.

The UN has previously warned against any attack by Saudi-led coalition forces on the Houthi-held port, the aid lifeline for millions of people in desperate need of food, saying that 200,000-500,000 people could be displaced.

Since March 25, 2015, Saudi Arabia and some of its Arab allies have been carrying out airstrikes against the Houthi Ansarullah movement in an attempt to restore power to fugitive former president.

According to Yemen’s Legal Center of Rights and Development, the Saudi campaign has claimed the lives of over 12,000 Yemenis and left more than 20,000 others wounded.

    All Stories