Israeli Regime Sends More Troops to Occupied West Bank
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – The Zionist regime of Israel sent more troops to the occupied West Bank on Saturday amid ongoing tensions between Israeli soldiers and Palestinian protesters in the occupied territories.
The forces were dispatched to the West Bank a day after three members of an Israeli family were killed in their home in the illegal Israeli settlement of Neve Zuf in the occupied West Bank, AP reported.
Disputes over the shrine, revered by Muslims and Jews, have set off major rounds of Israeli-Palestinian confrontations in the past. They were also at the root of the current violence which began last week when gunmen fired from the shrine, killing two Israeli policemen.
In response, Israel installed metal detectors at the gates of the 37-acre (15-hectare) walled compound, portraying the devices as a needed security measure to prevent more attacks.
Muslim leaders believe Israel was trying to expand its control at the Muslim-administered site under the guise of security and launched mass prayer protests.
On Friday, anger boiled over and several thousand Palestinians clashed with Israeli security forces in the West Bank and in Jerusalem after noon prayers, the highlight of the Muslim religious week. Three Palestinians were killed and several dozen wounded by live rounds and bullets in some of the worst street clashes in two years.
On Saturday morning, Israeli troops searched the assailant's family home in the West Bank village of Kobar and detained one of his brothers, the Israeli army said. Video footage released by the military shows soldiers leading away a handcuffed and blindfolded man.
The army said soldiers searched the house and measured it in preparation for demolition.
The father of the 20-year-old Palestinian assailant said he believes his son was upset over the loss of Palestinian lives and wanted to protect the "honor" of the holy site in the Old City of Jerusalem (al-Quds).