Iran Condemns Terrorist Attack on Afghan Hospital
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi strongly condemned a recent deadly terrorist attack in neighboring Afghanistan that led to the killing of at least 35 people and injuring of dozens more.
In a statement on Tuesday, Qassemi denounced the terror attack on a hospital in central Ghor province as “a heinous crime” and offered his condolences to the Afghan people and government and the bereaved families of victims.
At least 35 people were killed when militants attacked the hospital over the weekend, a presidential spokesman said on Monday, July 24.
"When the Taliban entered the hospital they killed 35, all civilians," spokesman Shah Hussain Murtazawi said, without specifying if they were patients or staff. "This is a cruel crime against humanity."
He did not elaborate, but unconfirmed reports Sunday claimed that the Taliban had set the hospital alight and killed those inside.
The Taliban have denied the claim, though a spokesman said that parts of the local hospital were damaged in fighting in the area.
It came as the insurgents captured Taywara district in Ghor province after days of fighting, the latest victory by the resurgent militants.
Afghan forces control 59.7% of the country, according to a report issued in May after the winter lull in fighting, up slightly from the previous quarter.
But the insurgents have ramped up their offensive across the country since launching their so-called "spring offensive" earlier this year.