Iran’s FM Rules Out JCPOA Renegotiation

TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif ruled out any renegotiation of the 2015 nuclear deal between Tehran and world powers, saying the country is willing to formally accept a tougher nuclear inspection regime in six years.

Iran’s FM Rules Out JCPOA Renegotiation

“If Congress behaves, in 6 years from now, we will be ratifying the Additional Protocol, the most intrusive inspection regime that is available,” Mohammad Javad Zarif said Wednesday in an interview with Charlie Rose at the Asia Society in New York.

“We will become a party to the Additional Protocol, provided the US takes care of its responsibilities,” he added.

Zarif’s comments in New York came less than three weeks before Trump has to decide whether to “certify” Iran’s compliance with the nuclear accord, a measure required under US law every 90 days. While Trump twice previously signed off on a statement of compliance, he’s signaled he won’t do so when required to issue his decision October 15.

“It took us two years of serious negotiations to reach this deal and 10 years of posturing on all sides,” Zarif said. “We are now back at posturing.”

“The nuclear deal is done,” Zarif added. “The US has to make a strategic decision. We will make an appropriate decision based on the circumstances.”

Iran and the Group 5+1 (Russia, China, the US, Britain, France and Germany) reached the 159-page nuclear agreement in July 2015 and implemented it in January 2016.

Since the historic deal was signed in Vienna, the IAEA has repeatedly confirmed the Islamic Republic’s compliance with its commitments under the JCPOA, but some other parties, especially the US, have failed to live up to their undertakings.

Most Visited in Nuclear
Top Nuclear stories
Top Stories