Iranian, Turkish Defense Ministers Discuss US Quds Move
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Iran’s Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami and his Turkish counterpart, Nurettin Canikli, in a telephone conversation on Tuesday exchanged views about a range of issues, including a recent decision by the US to recognize al-Quds (Jerusalem) as Israel’s capital.
Brigadier General Hatami told his Turkish opposite number that US President Donald Trump’s move to declare Quds the capital of the Zionist regime of Israel has its roots in Washington’s frustration and defeats in Iraq and Syria as well as its failures in the Iraqi Kurdistan Region’s independence bid and the forced resignation of the prime minister of Lebanon.
The Iranian defense minister further emphasized that the US decision to relocate its embassy to the holy city of Quds also proves Washington’s “irresponsible policy” that seeks to reinforce the Zionist occupation approach.
He went on to say that the US decision was made due to “sensing a gap and discord among the Islamic Ummah (community) and the concessions made by some Arab states with Israel”.
The Turkish minister, for his part, denounced Trump’s move as “a big mistake” and said no Muslim in the world can accept the decision.
Trump officially declared the disputed city of Quds Israel’s capital, despite warnings from around the world that the measure risks triggering a fresh wave of violence in the Middle East.
In a speech at the White House on Wednesday, Trump said his administration would also begin a years-long process of moving the American embassy in Tel Aviv to the holy city.
The announcement was a major shift by Washington that overturns decades of US foreign policy.
Palestinian leaders had previously warned the move would threaten a two-state solution.
Israel has occupied East Quds since the 1967 Middle East war. It annexed the area in 1980 and sees it as its exclusive domain. Under international law, the area is considered to be occupied territory.