Iran Ready to Contribute to Any Effort to End War in Yemen: Zarif
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif reiterated Tehran’s stance on the war on Yemen and said the Islamic Republic is ready to contribute to any effort to end “the nightmare” in the Arabian Peninsula country.
“Ending the nightmare that is the war in Yemen is our collective responsibility,” Zarif said on his Twitter account on Wednesday.
“We welcome the growing recognition that there is no military solution, and we are ready to contribute to any effort towards an immediate ceasefire, humanitarian assistance and intra-Yemeni dialogue,” he added in his tweet.
Yemeni people have been under massive attacks by a coalition led by Saudi Arabia for nearly three years but Riyadh has reached none of its objectives in Yemen so far.
Since March 2015, Saudi Arabia and some of its Arab allies have been carrying out deadly airstrikes against the Houthi Ansarullah movement in Yemen in an attempt to restore power to fugitive former president Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, a close ally of Riyadh.
Over 14,000 Yemenis, including women and children, have lost their lives in the deadly military campaign.