Failed UN Resolution An Attempt to Cover Up US, UK Complicity in Saudi Crimes: Zarif
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said the UK and the US proposed and backed a recent resolution against Iran and Yemen at the UN in an attempt to cover up their complicity in the ongoing Saudi-Emirati war crimes in the impoverished Arab country.
“Desperate attempt @ UNSC by US&UK to cover up complicity in 3 yrs of Saudi & Emirati war crimes in Yemen failed. Since the very start, Iran called for ceasefire, aid, dialogue & inclusive government. This—not a delusion of military victory or accusations—remains the only solution,” Zarif said in a message posted on his official Twitter account on Tuesday.
On Monday, Russia vetoed the resolution that would have pressured Iran over allegations of violating an arms embargo on Yemen.
The text, strongly supported by the United States, won 11 favorable votes at the 15-member Security Council but was blocked by Russia's veto.
China and Kazakhstan abstained, while Bolivia also voted against the measure.
Nine votes and no vetoes from the five permanent council members -- Britain, France, China, Russia and the United States -- are required to adopt resolutions at the Security Council.
After the veto, the council unanimously adopted a Russian-drafted measure that extended for one year the sanctions regime against Yemen, but that text made no mention of Iran.
Yemen’s defenseless people have been under massive attacks by a coalition led by the Saudi regime for almost three years but Riyadh has reached none of its objectives in Yemen so far.
Since March 2015, Saudi Arabia and some of its Arab allies have been carrying out deadly airstrikes against the Houthi Ansarullah movement in an attempt to restore power to fugitive former president Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi.
Over 14,000 Yemenis, including thousands of women and children, have lost their lives in the deadly military campaign.