300 Flood-Hit Families Housed in Emergency Shelters in SE Iran: Official
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – The governor of Iran’s southeastern province of Sistan and Balouchestan said so far, about 300 families have been accommodated in emergency shelters as floods hit some villages in the province.
Speaking to Tasnim, Ahmad Ali Mouhebati said in the wake of floods hitting some villages in the Hirmand County, north of Sistan and Balouchestan, around 300 households have been moved to emergency shelters.
He further said the floodwater has come from Afghanistan due to an increase in rainfall in the country, adding that given the overflow of dams and water holding structures in Afghanistan, the floods have been uncontrollable in the country and created problems for the people in Sistan and Balouchestan.
The official went on to say that the floodwater has broken a major dyke in the province, inundating the villages of Hirmand.
On Saturday, Head of Iran’s Relief and Rescue Organization Morteza Salimi said relief operations continue in flood-stricken provinces of the country and that about 300,000 people have been accommodated in emergency shelters.
Amid unprecedented torrential rains in northern, western and southwestern Iran that killed at least 77 people, the military forces mobilized efforts to help people trapped in the flood-affected areas and evacuate residents in the regions with an emergency situation.
Record spring rainfall that has battered Iran in the past weeks caused serious flooding in many areas, mainly the provinces of Golestan, Lorestan, Khuzestan, Fars and Ilam, forcing thousands to leave their homes.
While residents in some western areas are still in need of relief aid, the Army Ground Force, the IRGC, and Basij have deployed forces, heavy military machinery, aircraft and boats to the disaster zones.