WHO: No Evidence Iran Covering Up Severity of Coronavirus
- March, 03, 2020 - 09:11
- Politics news
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – The director-general of the World Health Organization said the world body has not found any concrete evidence proving that Iran had been covering up the severity of the coronavirus epidemic in the country.
“I wouldn’t frame any country without any reason or without having any fact,” Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told CNBC news channel on Monday when asked about the media hype revolving around Iran and accusing the country of covering up the severity of the new coronavirus epidemic
“There are reports that come from the media… but this is the WHO, you know, this is a technical organization and should check the facts. We cannot say what journalists say,” he added.
“I say if we followed journalists’ reports, whether it’s well done or not, then where we end.”
“That’s why we have our own mechanism and from our own mechanism we haven’t seen that, but if we see, then of course we should address it,” he concluded.
Iran on Monday received the first planeload of assistance from the WHO, including eight tons of medicines and test kits, to help the country in its battle against the new coronavirus outbreak.
Representatives of the UN's health agency have also arrived in Iran to examine the country's handling of the virus.
The WHO supplies, which are worth more than $300,000, include gloves, surgical masks and respirators.
Iran’s Health Ministry on Monday said the disease has claimed 66 lives and infected 1,501 others so far. Also 291 people have fully recovered.