Iran’s Top Judge: Trump to Face Trial for Murder of Gen. Soleimani
- January, 04, 2021 - 11:28
- Politics news
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Iran’s Judiciary Chief Seyed Ebrahim Raeisi reminded outgoing US President Donald Trump that he cannot escape punishment for ordering the assassination of Iranian commander Lt. General Qassem Soleimani in a case of state-sponsored terrorism.
In an interview with Lebanon’s Al-Manar TV, the Iranian Judiciary chief said Trump will have to get his comeuppance whether or not he is the US president.
Trump has committed the crime of assassinating General Soleimani and openly admitted to having ordered the strike, Raeisi said, noting that all people involved in the assassination plot have been detected.
Denouncing the murder as a clear example of state-sponsored terrorism that has been committed in a third country where the Iranian commander was visiting as a guest, the top judge said the crime is in violation of all international and human rights laws.
Those who ordered and perpetrated the assassination attack and the individuals aiding and abetting the attack will be prosecuted, the Iranian Judiciary chief stated.
He also noted that Iran has set up a special court to deal with the case, and has held several meetings with Iraqi judicial and political authorities to prosecute and punish the criminals involved in the case.
Last week, an official said the number of the main elements accused of complicity in the US assassination of the top commander has increased from 45 to 48.
According to Hossein Amir Abdollahian, six countries have been given warrants from Iran’s Judiciary so far for the arrest of the culprits.
The US assassinated General Soleimani, the commander of the Quds Force of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC), along with Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, deputy head of Iraq’s Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) or Hashd al-Shaabi, and their companions by targeting their vehicles outside Baghdad International Airport on January 3, 2020.
The act of terror was carried out under the direction of Trump, with the Pentagon taking responsibility for the strike.