Report on Forthcoming Resumption of JCPOA Talks Dismissed
- October, 18, 2021 - 10:35
- Politics news
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – The spokesperson for the Iranian Foreign Ministry rejected reports that a new round of talks on the revival of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action will begin in the next couple of days.
In comments on Sunday night, Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Saeed Khatibzadeh provided an explanation of the remarks that Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian had made in a meeting with a group of lawmakers earlier in the day.
Dismissing the wrong conclusion that Iran and the JCPOA parties will begin a new round of talks in the coming days, Khatibzadeh said Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Ali Baqeri will travel to Brussels for talks with Deputy Secretary General of the European External Action Service for Political Affairs Enrique Mora.
He said Baqeri and Mora will continue negotiations in Belgium according to what they had agreed on during the recent talks in Tehran.
On Sunday, an Iranian lawmaker said Tehran is going to resume the nuclear talks in a few days in accordance with the Parliament’s ‘Strategic Action’ on lifting the sanctions and safeguarding national interests.
A new round of talks to revive the JCPOA began in Vienna in April between Iran and the remaining members of the nuclear deal, namely the UK, France, Russia and China plus Germany.
There was a hiatus in the nuclear talks after the new Iranian administration took office in August.
Last week, Amirabdollahian said the Iranian administration would finalize decisions on the resumption of the Vienna talks about the JCPOA in the near future.
The US left the JCPOA in 2018 and restored the economic sanctions that the accord had lifted. Tehran retaliated with remedial nuclear measures that it is entitled to take under the JCPOA’s Paragraph 36.
The current negotiations examine the potential of revitalization of the nuclear deal and the US’ likely return to it.