US Teacher Shot Dead in Libya's Benghazi
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – A US teacher was shot dead in Benghazi on Thursday, 15 months after a deadly attack on the US consulate in Libya's second city, medical and security sources said.
The dead man worked at the city's international school, a Benghazi Medical Centre official said.
A security source confirmed that the teacher had been shot dead, AFP reported.
The 33-year-old was gunned down earlier on Thursday as he was jogging in the Fweihat district, a popular residential area in the city.
There was no immediate statement from the US embassy in Libya. No group has said it carried out the attack.
For more than a year, many foreign governments have advised against all travel to Benghazi by their nationals. The warnings followed an attack on the US consulate in September 2012 in which US ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans were killed.
The international school in Benghazi is a Libyan-owned institute that follows an American curriculum. "He was doing his morning exercise when gunmen just shot him. I don't know why. He was so sweet with everyone," Adel al Mansouri, director at the school, told Reuters.
Benghazi has seen the rise of several extremist militia groups operating in the city since the civil war in 2011 that toppled the longstanding ruler Muammar Gaddafi.
Militias took part in the uprising that led to the fall of Col Gaddafi but have been told by the interim government to disband or join the army by the end of the year.