Iran Condemns Deadly Attack on Shiite Mourners in Saudi Arabia
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Iranian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Marziyeh Afkham on Saturday strongly condemned the recent terrorist attack on Shiite mourners east of Saudi Arabia.
The attack claimed lives of many innocent civilians who had gathered to mourn the martyrdom anniversary of Imam Hussein (AS), the third Shiite Imam.
Afkham expressed condolences to the bereaved families of the victims, and said continuation of extremist and inhumane measures by terrorist elements and the deaths of a number of innocent people has created a regrettable situation.
“The international community is needed to put top on the agenda the effort to end any kind of logistic support for the Takfiri terrorist groups and should take effective measures to that end,” she underlined.
A group claiming affiliation with the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) terrorist group said it carried out the attack on Friday.
In May 2015, ISIL claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing during midday prayers at a Shiite mosque in eastern Saudi Arabia. The Saudi Health Ministry said at least 21 people had been killed and more than 120 others injured.
Another suicide bomber killed at least 15 people in an attack on a mosque used by members of a local security force in southwest Saudi Arabia in August.