Iran Hits Back at British MP for Allegations of Arms Delivery to Yemen
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi lashed out at British MP Tobias Ellwood for accusing Iran of delivering arms to Yemen, saying Britain itself is known as a main supplier of weaponry for the Saudi-led military campaign against Yemeni civilians.
“Rather than making such bogus allegations and referring to unfounded reports, the British official had better have an explanation for such anti-human conduct (by the British government) and give an answer to the questions of the House of Commons’ members about the widespread and undeniable use of British-made… weapons in the killing of civilians, including the innocent Yemeni women and children,” Qassemi said on Thursday.
His comments came after Tobias Ellwood, Britain’s Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, said in an interview with Asharq Al-Awsat, “We are worried regarding Iran arming Houthis as we have received reports implying that Iran has transferred arms to Yemen; thus violating UN Security Resolution 2216, which forbids Iran from exporting weapons.”
Elsewhere in his remarks, the Iranian spokesman said while Saudi Arabia is directly accountable for spearheading a military coalition killing Yemeni children, officials of Britain –one of the two main countries arming the coalition- should address the concerns of the world public opinion.
Qassemi also underlined that London should give an explanation for providing arms to the aggressors against Yemen, although the European Parliament has placed an arms embargo against Saudi Arabia to protest against the heavy bombing campaign in Yemen.
In February, the MEPs voted by a large majority for an EU-wide ban on arms sales to the Saudi regime, citing the “disastrous humanitarian situation” as a result of “Saudi-led military intervention in Yemen”.
Since March 2015, Saudi Arabia and some of its Arab allies have been launching deadly airstrikes against the Houthi Ansarullah movement in an attempt to restore power to the fugitive former President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, a close ally of Riyadh.
According to media reports, more than 8,000 Yemenis, most of them civilians, have been killed in the Saudi-led aggression so far.