Russia Military Probing Syria Aid Convoy Strike: Kremlin
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Russia said Tuesday its military was looking into "information" about an airstrike on a UN aid convoy in Syria after Damascus announced an end to a week-long ceasefire.
"I don't think it is possible or correct to make any unsubstantiated conclusions," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said, AFP reported.
"Our military is currently verifying information about this strike and I hope they will receive concrete information from the ground and can then release a statement."
The UN said at least 18 trucks in a 31-vehicle convoy were destroyed late Monday as they were en route to deliver humanitarian assistance to the hard-to-reach town of Orum al-Kubra, killing a Red Crescent staff member and civilians.
The United Nations has since suspended all humanitarian aid convoys for security reasons.
The incident came hours after the Syrian military declared an end to a week-long truce brokered by the Moscow and Washington earlier this month.
Peskov said that hope for a renewal of the ceasefire was "for now, very weak", stressing that a truce could only be resumed if terrorists halted their bombardments of government forces.
"The conditions are very simple. The shooting needs to stop and the terrorists need to stop attacking Syrian troops," he said.
"And, of course, it wouldn't hurt if our American colleagues didn't accidentally bomb the Syrians," he added, referring to a US-led coalition strike last week that killed at least 90 Syrian servicemen.