Iran Raps Kabul Terrorist Blast
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi condemned the latest terrorist attack in Afghanistan’s capital, Kabul, as “a criminal and inhumane” move.
In a Sunday statement, Qassemi extended Iran’s condolences to the Afghan nation and government as well as the families of the victims of the deadly attack.
He also expressed the hope that terrorism in all its aspects and forms would be eradicated in the region and the whole world through joint resolve and attempts by all states at bilateral, regional and international levels.
A suicide bomber blew himself up outside a voter registration center in the Afghan capital Kabul on Sunday, killing at least 40 people and wounding dozens as they waited to receive identity cards, officials said.
The Daesh (ISIL or ISIS) terrorist group claimed responsibility for the attack.
Interior Ministry spokesman Najib Danesh said a bomber on foot approached the center where officials had been issuing identity cards as part of a process of registering voters for the election scheduled for October.
A spokesman for the ministry of public health said at least 40 people were confirmed dead and scores wounded. The explosion destroyed cars and shattered windows in nearby buildings, leaving rubble strewn across the street.
The blast took place in Dasht-e Barchi, an area of western Kabul inhabited by many members of the mainly Shiite Hazara minority.