Iran, Syria Issue Joint Statement as Raisi Ends Visit to Damascus
- May, 05, 2023 - 14:22
- Politics news
TEHRAN (Tasnim) - The Islamic Republic of Iran and the Syrian Arab Republic issued a joint statement at the end of the two-day official visit by Ebrahim Raisi to the country, which was carried out at the invitation of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
The full text of the statement published by official website of the Iranian president is as follows:
In response to the official invitation of Mr Dr Bashar al-Assad, President of the Syrian Arab Republic, Mr Dr Seyyed Ebrahim Raisi, President of the Islamic Republic of Iran, made an official visit to the Syrian Arab Republic for two days, Wednesday and Thursday, 3 and 4 May 2023, and discussed and exchanged opinions with the high officials of this country regarding ways to expand and strengthen bilateral relations, the latest developments in the region and the situation on the world stage.
- The two Presidents held in-depth talks that focused on ways to develop and strengthen bilateral relations based on fraternal and strategic relations between the two countries, as well as the latest developments in the region and global conditions.
- The two sides emphasised the need to respect the national sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity of the two countries, according to the goals and principles of the United Nations Charter.
- The two sides emphasised the importance of strengthening bilateral relations through the continuation of political, economic, consular cooperation and other areas of cooperation, as well as the continuation of the exchange of high-ranking delegations between the two countries.
- The two sides expressed their readiness and willingness to take any action to develop commercial-economic relations between the two countries through existing mechanisms such as the Joint High Commission. They also emphasised the existing cooperation between the two countries in the field of reconstruction of the Syrian Arab Republic.
- The two sides, expressing their satisfaction with the joint cooperation in the field of fighting terrorism and extremism, emphasised the continuation of joint cooperation for the ultimate destruction of all terrorist groups.
- Both sides strongly condemned the aggression of the Zionist Regime on the Syrian Arab Republic and considered it a destabilising factor in the region. Both sides emphasised the legitimate right of Syria to respond to these aggressions in an appropriate way.
- Both sides condemned the continued occupation of the Syrian Golan by the occupying regime and also the actions of this occupying regime, including the decision to annex the Golan, which is in contradiction with the principles of international law and the legal status of the Syrian Golan is considered as occupied lands. They also strongly condemned the US government's decision to recognise the annexation of the Golan, which is a clear violation of the principles of the United Nations.
- Both sides condemn any illegal presence of military forces in the territory of the Syrian Arab Republic, which is considered occupation, and emphasise the necessity of ending it, which violates the national sovereignty of the Syrian Arab Republic and its territorial integrity. They stated the need to expand the sovereignty of the Syrian Arab Republic throughout their land. They strongly condemned the actions of the United States in stealing the natural resources of the Syrian Arab Republic and demanded a decisive response from the international community to stop such actions.
- The two sides strongly condemned the coercive, unilateral and illegitimate actions taken by the United States of America and the European Union against the Islamic Republic of Iran and the Syrian Arab Republic; Actions that violate international laws and international humanitarian law. They also expressed concern about this approach that causes harm to innocent people and emphasised the need to immediately cancel such inhumane actions.
- Also, the Iranian side once again announced its stand by the government and people of the Syrian Arab Republic and solidarity with them in the face of the recent devastating earthquake in this country. The two sides also condemned the continuation of the cruel siege and illegal punishments by the Western governments against the Syrian people in the post-earthquake situation. They emphasised the need to immediately break this blockade in order to receive international aid for the reconstruction of the earthquake-affected areas.
- Both sides welcomed the positive political developments in the region, especially the constructive relationship between the Syrian Arab Republic and the Arab countries and the agreement between Iran and Saudi Arabia that was made under the supervision of China, and described this agreement as an important step towards positive developments that serve the stability of the Middle East. They also emphasised the need for solidarity and cohesion between regional governments to face challenges and ensure security, prosperity and peace in the region through internal regional cooperation.
- Both sides honoured the blood of the martyrs - all the martyrs of Iran, Syria and their friends - who sacrificed their lives for the victory of the Syrian Arab Republic in the war against terrorism.
- The Iranian side appreciated the efforts made to prepare suitable conditions and facilitate the return of Syrian refugees to their cities and villages in the Syrian Arab Republic. Both sides asked the international community to provide the necessary assistance in this field and stop the abuse of the suffering of asylum seekers by some countries in order to serve their political agendas.
- Both sides emphasised that the occupying Zionist Regime is the main cause of all crises and a threat to peace and security in the region. They rejected any hostile actions of this regime against the Islamic sanctuaries in the Holy Quds and its efforts to change the legal and historical conditions of al-Quds and condemned the continuation of illegal settlement operations as well as the actions of the occupying regime in Palestine and all those cases are clear violations of international and human rights. Both sides expressed their support for the legitimate right of the Palestinian people to resist the occupation and establish an independent, unified and sovereign state with the Holy Quds as its capital.
- Mr Dr Seyyed Ebrahim Raisi, the President of the Islamic Republic of Iran, expressed his sincere gratitude and appreciation for the warm welcome and generous hospitality of his brother, Mr Dr Bashar al-Assad, the President of the Syrian Arab Republic, the Syrian authorities and people, and he made an invitation to the President of the Syrian Arab Republic to make an official trip to the Islamic Republic of Iran.