Report: Civilians, Main Victims of US Drones Attacks in Yemen
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Civilians were the main victims of 12 attacks by the US drones in Yemen during the past two weeks, media reports disclosed on Monday.
The US drone attacks have killed 49 people in Yemen during the past two week.
Meantim, locals stressed that the unmanned aircraft targeted civilian areas and the victims have been mostly civilians, press tv reported.
14 of the dead were believed by the US government to be militants.
“That leaves 35 others who the locals say are just random civilians killed in strikes that are hitting civilian areas,” wrote Jason Ditz, a journalist with Antiwar.com.
Mohammed Ahmad Bagash, a Yemeni who lives in the town of Jaar north of Zinjibar said his daughter was killed while in school, when it was hit by a drone attack, BBC reports.
He said that he was taking his daughter from school to a local clinic for a doctor’s appointment only to find that the clinic had been destroyed by a drone attack.
Then he and his children went back to school to take shelter in the basement, when a follow-up attack destroyed the school, killing his daughter.
“These are really war crimes; the use of drones on countries that the United States is not at war with. It is not only a violation of international law, but it’s also in violation of US law,” Richard Becker of the Act Now to Stop War and End Racism (ANSWER) Coalition said in an interview with Press TV.
The most comprehensive studies show that the vast majority of people being killed by the drone strikes are in fact civilians, Becker noted.