Syrian Rebels Reject Geneva Peace Talks
TEHRAN (Tasnim) - Armed opposition groups in Syria announced that they will not attend the Geneva 2 peace talks.
The powerful opposition group's statement comes as fighting rages on near the border with neighboring Iraq and in the central city of Homs.
The Geneva peace talks set to take place on November 23 have been repeatedly postponed amid wrangling among the Syrian opposition, and a dispute over which countries, including Iran, should participate.
Meanwhile, in a hopeful turn, the Syrian government has handed over on time a detailed plan on destroying its chemical weapons stockpile, an international watchdog has said.
A move in line with US-Russian deal reached last month that headed off threatened military strikes on Syria and triggered the initiative for peace talks staged in Switzerland next month, Al Jazeera reported.
However, in the latest blow to the peace talks, 19 of the groups fighting to topple Assad issued a statement saying: "We announce that the Geneva 2 conference is not, nor will it ever be our people's choice or our revolution's demand."
The statement was read out by Suqur al-Sham brigade chief Ahmad Eissa al-Sheikh in a video posted online.
"We consider it just another part of the conspiracy to throw our revolution off track and to abort it."
They warned anyone who attends such talks would be committing "treason, and... would have to answer for it before our courts".
The statement comes as the UN-Arab League peace envoy to Syria, Lakhdar Brahimi, prepares to travel to Damascus on Monday garnering support for the upcoming talks, a Syrian government source told AFP news agency.