Ringleader of Ansar al-Furqan Terrorist Cell Killed in Southeast Iran
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – A senior official at Iran's intelligence ministry announced on Thursday that a ringleader of the so-called Ansar al-Furqan terrorist group has been killed in an operation conducted by the country's security forces in the southeastern province of Sistan and Baluchestan.
Hesham Azizi, also known as Abu Hafs al-Balushi, and two other members of the terrorist group were killed in the successful operation on Wednesday, a deputy intelligence minister for internal security told reporters.
The Ansar al-Furqan terrorist group was formed last year with financial and arms support from some Western and regional Arab states to cause insecurity and terror in the southeastern part of the country, the unnamed deputy minister said.
He further said that a number of weapons and explosives were seized from the terrorist cell.
In the last few days, Azizi had been on the lam following vast security operations in the Qasr-e Qand region in Sistan and Baluchestan.
Earlier in February, Iran's intelligence ministry announced that it disbanded a terrorist cell in the province and seized 350 kilograms of explosives.