Multiple Explosions Kill over 40 in Nigeria

News ID: 807571 Service: World
انفجار نیجریه

TEHRAN (Tasnim) – At least 42 people were killed on Wednesday evening in Gombe State, Nigeria, following three-bomb explosions at two bus stations in the state.

Witnesses told AFP that the first two explosions occurred at about 7 pm at Dadin-Kowa Motor Park, the busiest bus station in the state.

The blasts suspected to be from Improvised Explosive Devices were said to have occurred minutes apart.

The third blast occurred about two hours later at Tashan Dukku Motor Park.

Sources said there was pandemonium as residents went searching in hospitals for their loved ones.

The Police Public Relations in the Gombe State, Fwaje Atajiri, confirmed the attack to newsmen but said the fatality figure had yet to be confirmed.

Atajiri said, "It is true that there were bomb attacks in the motor park but the casualty figure is not yet known. The injured have been taken to the hospital and the area has been cordoned off to prevent hoodlums from taking advantage of the situation to loot people’s property."

Earlier last week, at least 49 people were killed in blasts at a market in Gombe. That attack was blamed on Boko Haram militants.

The terrorist group, which often targets northern Nigeria, has stepped up attacks since President Muhammudu Buhari took office in May.

No group has said it is behind Wednesday evening's attacks, although Boko Haram has targeted bus stations in the city before.

    All Stories