Death Toll in Yemen War Rises to At Least 10,000: UN
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – The death toll in Yemen's 18-month-old civil war stands at about 10,000, the UN Humanitarian Coordinator said on Tuesday, an increase from estimates of more than 6,000 cited by officials and aid workers for much of 2016.
Jamie McGoldrick told a news conference in the Yemeni capital that the new figure was based on official information provided by medical facilities in Yemen.
He said he believed the toll might be even higher since some areas had no medical facilities, and relatives there often buried loved ones directly, Reuters reported.
Saudi Arabia began its military aggression against Yemen – without a UN mandate – last year in a bid to undermine the Houthi movement and to restore power to Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, an ally of Riyadh.
The conflict re-escalated after peace talks mediated by the United Nations and held in Kuwait collapsed earlier this month.