Bahraini People Urged to Gather in Mosques on Eve of Sheikh Qassim’s Trial

News ID: 1413605 Service: World
مراسم ختم سه شهید با حضور علمای بحرینی

TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Prominent religious scholars in Bahrain called on people to fill mosques in all regions across the Persian Gulf country on the eve of scheduled trial of Ayatollah Sheikh Isa Qassim, the spiritual leader of the Shiite majority, on Sunday.

In a statement on Saturday, Bahraini scholars urged all men and women to convene in mosques to protest a court ruling planned to be declared against Sheikh Qassim on Sunday.

"The people highlighted the most magnificent epic in the entire history of Bahrain, in defending their religion. They remained closely tied to the longest popular sit-in in the national history," the statement said, in reference to the Diraz protest, Bahrain Mirror reported.

The statement added that the regime's continuous tyranny throughout the years only increased the people's determination, indicating that "the continuation of this trial only increased the vigor of the people's will.”

"On the night of the trial against the sect and religion, we call on filling the channels or religion with sacrificing worshippers. May all the mosques of Bahrain in all areas be filled with men and women," it further said.

"Be prepared for any moment a religious appeal is issued in the event of any unjust judgement (against Sheikh Qassim)," the statement concluded.

In March, a Bahraini court delayed the verdict in the case of Sheikh Qassim. The court had earlier set March 14 as the date to issue its ruling but adjourned its decision until May 7 and later until May 21.

The Manama regime announced on June 20, 2016, that the citizenship of Sheikh Qassim had been revoked, accusing him of sowing sectarian divisions.

The regime later said it would put the senior cleric on trial on charges of “illegal fund collections, money laundering and helping terrorism.”

Bahrain, a close ally of the US in the Persian Gulf, has been witnessing almost daily protests against the Al Khalifa dynasty since early 2011, with security forces resorting to harsh measures against demonstrators.

Scores of Bahrainis have been killed and hundreds of others injured and arrested in the ongoing crackdown on the peaceful protests.

    All Stories