Mehdi Ghaedi Chosen Best AFC Young Player of 2020
- January, 24, 2021 - 14:32
- Sports news
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – A breakout star at national, continental and international levels, Iran’s Mehdi Ghaedi is Asia’s Choice for the Best Young Player of 2020.
The award recognizes Asian men’s players (aged 23 or younger on December 31, 2020) for their performances in senior club and youth and senior national teams during the 2020 calendar year.
Ghaedi edged out countryman Mehdi Abdi to win the award, with Korea Republic’s AFC U-23 Championship Most Valuable Player Won Du-jae finishing third.
A creative forward who turned 22 in December, Ghaedi enjoyed a superb year for club side Esteghlal, attracting attention throughout the continent with three goals in five matches in the AFC Champions League.
He also scored in Iran’s Hazfi Cup final, which Esetghlal lost to FC Tractor, and finished as the Iran Pro League’s top provider of assists as his side finished the 2019-20 season as runner-up.
After appearing at the AFC U-23 Championship Thailand 2020 last January, Ghaedi made his senior international debut for Iran against Uzbekistan in October and scored his maiden goal for Team Melli in his second appearance, against Bosnia-Herzegovina the following month.
Top 10 Total Points
1. Mehdi Ghaedi (Esteghlal/IRN) 24.40
2. Mehdi Abdi (Persepolis FC/IRN) 21.37
3. Won Du-jae (Ulsan Hyundai FC/KOR) 16.20
4. Takehiro Tomiyasu (Bologna/JPN) 7.83
5. Takefusa Kubo (Mallorca, Villareal CF/JPN) 6.71
6. Abdulrahman Ghareeb (Al Ahli/KSA) 3.69
7. Kaoru Mitoma (Kawasaki Frontale/JPN) 3.64
8. Mohanad Ali (Portimonense, Al Sailiya/IRQ) 3.08
9. Safawi Rasid (Johor Darul Ta’zim, Portimonense/MAS) 3.07
10. Abdullah Al Hamdan (Al Shabab/KSA) 2.81