Iran’s Defense Minister Warns Saudis of Harsh Reaction

News ID: 1400962 Service: Defense
سردار دهقان وزیر دفاع

TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Nowhere in Saudi Arabia, except the Muslim holy sites, will remain intact if the Riyadh regime takes any “ignorant” move against Iran, Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan warned after a Saudi prince’s recent rhetoric against Tehran.

Asked by Arabic-language Al-Manar TV about Saudi Defense Minister Mohammed bin Salman’s recent threat that any battlefield would be inside Iran not Saudi Arabia, Dehqan said on Sunday, “They think they can do something because of having an air force.”

“We recommend them (Saudis) not to make any ignorant move, but if they do, we will not leave anywhere intact except (Muslim holy cities of) Mecca and Medina,” he added.

It came after bin Salman’s hawkish remarks in a televised interview last week. The young Saudi prince had ruled out any dialogue with Iran and pledged to protect his kingdom from what he called Tehran's efforts to dominate the Muslim world.

"We know that we are a main goal for the Iranian regime… We will not wait until the battle becomes in Saudi Arabia but we will work to have the battle in Iran rather than in Saudi Arabia," the Saudi minister had announced.

On May 3, Iran’s Foreign Ministry denounced the hostile comments by the Saudi prince as a sign of flawed understanding of the regional situation, lack of political wisdom, and a “strategic mistake” in pursuing the policy of spreading terrorism.

“Such comments are clear evidence that the Saudis promote terrorism and pursue provocative and destructive policies regarding the region and Iran affairs,” Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi said.

    All Stories