Iran’s Zarif Appreciates Global Offers of Aid after Quake
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif thanked the international community for “expressions of sympathy and offers of assistance” following a deadly earthquake on Sunday that killed over 420 people.
“Heartbreaking images from the earthquake damage and loss of life in Kermanshah (and in Iraq). We are grateful for global expressions of sympathy and offers of assistance. For now, we can manage with our own resources. Many thanks for all offers and we will keep you posted,” Zarif said in a message posted on this official Twitter account on Tuesday.
The latest statistics on Tuesday morning show 423 people have been killed and 7,370 others injured in Iran by the Sunday night earthquake measuring 7.3 on the Richter scale, whose epicenter was near Halabjah, southeast of Iraq’s Sulaymaniyah.
In a statement on Monday evening, the Iranian government expressed sympathy with the bereaved families of the victims and declared Tuesday as a day of national mourning.
The province of Kermanshah had earlier declared three days of mourning.
Kermanshah, hit hardest by the quake, has received dozens of rescue teams from across the country to search for the survivors stuck under the rubble and save the wounded.
Head of the country’s Emergency Medical Service said on Tuesday morning that the rescue and relief operation and the transfer of the injured in Kermanshah had almost finished.
President Hassan Rouhani arrived in Kermanshah this morning to visit the areas worst hit by the earthquake and get updates on the rescue operations.