Jame Mosque in Damghan: A Tourist Attraction of Iran
TEHRAN (Tasnim) - Damghan Jame Mosque is located northeast of the city and is a 35-meter long and 18-meter wide structure with two rows of pillars with brickwork decorations.
The exact age of this structure is not known but it appears to have been originally built shortly before or around the beginning of the Seljuq era (1038-1118). The current mosque was built over the original structure in the Qajar era (1785-1925).
There are three iwans (vaulted halls, walled on three sides and open on one side) on the southern part of the mosque’s courtyard. The middle iwan is taller and wider than the other two and holds the mosque’s Mihrab (prayer niche). The Shabistans (inner sanctums) of the mosque are located in the eastern and western part of the courtyard.
The mosque’s minaret is the only part of the original structure that still stands today. This minaret was originally 35 meters tall and had 105 steps. This minaret is currently 26.5 meters tall and has delicate brickwork decorations.
The minaret also has a brick inscription with Quranic verses. Damghan Jame Mosque was registered as a National Heritage Site in 1931.