Ansarullah Submits Proposal to UN on Yemen Crisis
TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement has submitted a proposal to the UN for ending Saudi Arabia’s three-and-a-half-year aggression against the impoverished Arab country, a report said.
“We have officially submitted our proposal to the UN General Assembly and Security Council,” the chairman of Yemen's Supreme Revolutionary Committee, Mohammed Ali al-Houthi, said in a message posted on his official Twitter account on Thursday.
The proposal, he said, had been issued by the Houthis’ High Revolutionary Committee and not by the group’s official negotiating team.
The initiative reportedly calls for holding presidential and parliamentary polls and forming a “reconciliation committee” tasked with overcoming outstanding differences between the two sides.
It also calls for "international guarantees” against further foreign intervention in Yemen, including a general amnesty, prisoner swap, and popular referendums to settle main points of contention.
If the UN fails to respond to the proposal, the global body would be held accountable for the Arab country’s ongoing humanitarian catastrophe, the Houthi official said.
Since March 25, 2015, Saudi Arabia and some of its Arab allies have been carrying out airstrikes against the Houthi Ansarullah movement in an attempt to restore power to fugitive former president Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, a close ally of Riyadh.
Yemen’s Legal Center of Rights and Development has recently announced that the Saudi campaign has claimed the lives of over 13,600 Yemenis and left more than 20,000 others wounded.